I wanna see you be brave
This week, we investigate why girls are taught that it’s cute to be scared and how that impacts us as adults. We also share our read/watch/listen/follow recommendations for this month.
What you’ll hear:
- Why we teach young women it's 'cute' to be scared
- Ways we've seen ourselves both give in to and stand up to expected cultural norms for women
- How perfectionism affects courage
- Tips for being brave
- What we're reading, watching, listening to, and following
Can I quote you on that?
- “Timidity has become a function of femininity” Maggie
- “I was aware of getting extra points for being a girl who was willing to take a risk.” Jacey
- “You are a lioness.” Maggie
- “I’m still working through that summer reading list. I know it’s October.” Jacey
- Why Do We Teach Girls That It's Cute to Be Scared
- Nervous Nellies: Are Women More Anxious Than Men
- Teach Girls Bravery, Not Perfection
- Before the Fall
- Finding God in the Waves
- Off Camera podcast: Will Ferrel and Mindy Kaling
- Sorta Awesome ‘Refuge for Refugees’ series
- The Nester: Cozy Minimalist course
- Skimm the Vote
Thoughts, questions, comments?
- Find Around the Table on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, or leave a comment below.
- Maggie on Instagram, Twitter, and her blog
- Jacey on Instagram, Twitter and her blog
Some links are affiliates. Thanks for supporting our show!