Getting out of your own way and life in London
This week, we discuss getting out of our own way, and Jacey interviews Maggie about her life in London.
For our one year anniversary episode, we want to hear from YOU! Leave us a message by Friday, August 21st, and we’ll include as many messages as we can in the episode.
We’d love to hear your three dream dinner party guests, or anything else you want to share with us. Try to keep your message under a minute, if possible!
Thanks a million! We can’t wait to hear from you.
What you'll hear:
- It's almost our podcast birthday! (See above)
- What Maggie named her resident mice
- Thoughts on why we try to hinder our own creative efforts
- Self-sabotaging patterns we have identified
- Ways to overcome getting in your own way
- Insight into Maggie's life in London
Can I quote you on that?
- "It's not necessarily about defeating the resistance, but figuring out how to work around it." - Jacey
- "A lot of the things that I think hinder me when it comes to creative work or something I want to accomplish stem out of fear of failure." - Maggie
- "Our brains are really skilled at keeping us from doing anything that we perceive as a risk." - Jacey
- "What if somehow we can take that resistance, approach it from a different angle and actually use it to fuel our creativity. Use those frustrations, use those concerns, use those fears and see if you can find inspiration in them." - Maggie
- "I can't control anything that will happen to my words once they leave me. I don't know who will read them or if they will ever be considered good by any metric outside of myself. All I can control is if I do them, if I write them, if I put them down on paper." - Jacey
- "Sometimes it is as simple as work ethic. Just sitting down and doing it." - Jacey
- "Talk to yourself like you would talk to a friend." - Jacey
- If you're in the market for mouse traps, Maggie recommends THESE!
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- Manage Your Day to Dayby Jocelyn Glei
- Psychology Today:Getting Out of Your Own Way
- Huffington Post: Self-Sabotaging in Work or Relationships? Why?
Thoughts, questions, comments?
- Find Around the Table on Instagram or Twitter, or leave a comment below.
- Maggie on Instagram, Twitter, and her blog
- Jacey on Instagram, Twitter and her blog
Some links are affiliates. Thanks for supporting our show!