Episode 017: Christmas Memories, Holiday Romance, and Gearing Up for Race Day
In this week's episode, we share our favorite Christmas memories and discuss what we've been reading, watching, listening to, and following recently. We also chat about relationships (of the romantic kind) during the holidays and Maggie shares tips on what to eat in preparation for a race.
We begin with our Christmas segment where we share some of our favorite Christmas traditions:
- Maggie's family travels over the holidays. Exploring the Christmas markets in Paris, Prague, and Dresden, Germany was a favorite trip.
- Jacey's family opens one gift on Christmas Eve (it's usually pajamas,) and her mom makes homemade cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning.
We also share a favorite Christmas memory:
- Two years ago, Maggie spent Christmas away from her family in Israel. It turned out to be a very special day and her favorite moment involved fitting 12 people into a VERY small room.
- Jacey's dad still proudly displays the maimed glass reindeer that stars in Jacey's favorite holiday memory.
What are some of your favorite memories and traditions?
In case you missed it last week, we made a Spotify playlist of some of our favorite Christmas music for you! It's three hours long, and we have excellent taste, so you're welcome:
This week, we're beginning a new segment called Read, Watch, Listen, Follow where we discuss the things we've been (you guessed it) reading, watching, listening to, and following recently.
What we're reading:
- The Skimm: the daily email newsletter that fills you in on all the important goings-on politically, socially, and culturally.
- Every Good Endeavorby Tim Keller
What we're watching:
- This video of Steve Carell on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon:
What we're listening to:
Who we're folloing:
Summary of our discussion on the pros and cons of romantic relationships during the holidays: While it's hard to navigate the combining of families and traditions at Christmas, it is nice to have a hand to hold while ice skating and braving holiday parties.
What are your thoughts on romance during the holidays?
Jacey and Maggie just ran a half-marathon. Here are a few nutrition tips in preparation for race day:
- Combine (proper) carb loading with exercise taper.
- Begin 3 days before event
- Don't over-eat fatty, sugary foods
- Hydrate appropriately
- Don't try out any new foods on race day. Practice what you will eat during your event on training days.
- A good rule for breakfast: for each hour before the start of your race, eat 100 calories. So, if your event begins at 8am and you are eating breakfast at 5am, your meal should be about 300 calories.
That's all for this week. We’re so grateful for the time you spend with us each week. If you’re enjoying the show, please rate and review us on iTunes! We hear it matters.