Agree to disagree and Read Watch Listen Follow
In this episode, we discuss agreeing to disagree, plus Read Watch Listen Follow and a bonus holiday edition!
While you're around a literal table with family members this holiday season, neutralize heated conversations or infuse pleasant ones with even more joy by recommending our podcast! Or subscribing to it on people's phones while they're in the bathroom. Either way.
[smart_track_player url="http://traffic.libsyn.com/aroundthetablepodcast/Agree_to_Disagree_and_Read_Watch_Listen_Follow.mp3" artist="Around the Table" color="00757e" social="true" social_twitter="true" social_facebook="true" social_pinterest="true" social_email="true" ]
What you’ll hear:
- The importance of disagreement in relationships
- The problem with processing disagreement as rejection
- Why we need to examine motivation for engaging (or not) in a disagreement
- When you do choose to engage, tips for handling the conversation with grace and guts
- Reminder: we don't have the power to change people's hearts; only God can do that
Can I quote you on that?
- "Where's there's friction, there's refinement." Maggie
- "Sometimes the refinement comes from butting up against each other even if you don't ever come to a place of seeing eye to eye." Jacey
- "Seek to understand more than to be understood." Jacey
- "We're not sacrificing our beliefs by examining someone else's." Maggie
- "Ask more questions." Maggie
- "If we just unfollow everyone we disagree with, then we're creating these echo chambers where we can just be affirmed for our beliefs and never be challenged." Jacey
- "One of my recurring prayers is for my blind spots to be illuminated." Jacey
- "How to Disagree About Heated Issues" // Relevant Magazine
- Why We Need You to NOT Unfriend, Unfollow, or Block Those You Disagree with on Social Media // Shawn Smucker
- Maggie's reads: Magnify Magazine, Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Over 100 Delicious Recipes from My Personal Cookbook
- Jacey's reads:Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert, Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff
- Maggie's holiday read: "The Cremation of Sam McGee"
- Jacey's holiday reads: Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree, The Best Christmas Pageant Everby Barbara Robinson. Letters From Father ChristmasbyJ.R.R. Tolkien
- Maggie's watches: Tomorrowland, "Master of None"
- Jacey's watches: Spotlight, "The Man in the Highcastle"
- Maggie's holiday watches: Miracle on 34th Street, The Santa Claus, Love Actually
- Jacey's holiday watches: Home Alone, The Nutcracker Ballet
- Maggie's listen: A Very Relevant Christmas
- Jacey's listen: B.J. Novak on Tim Ferriss' podcast
- Joint Christmas listen: Around the Table holiday playlist
- Maggie's follow: The Armstrong Collective
- Jacey's follow: The List App
- How to leave an iTunes review:
Thoughts, questions, comments?
- Find Around the Table on Instagram or Twitter, or leave a comment below.
- Maggie on Instagram, Twitter, and her blog
- Jacey on Instagram, Twitter and her blog
Some links are affiliates. Thanks for supporting our show!